Home | Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton News | Pacman vs Hitman Videos | Pacquiao vs Hatton Pictures


Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's been emotional, says Ricky Hatton on Manny Pacquiao talks



Ricky Hatton has revealed that he experienced the full gamut of emotions from "delighted to devastated" during last week's negotiations with Manny Pacquiao over their May 2 superfight in Las Vegas.

The contest was finally secured last weekend when Pacquiao signed, ending speculation that boxing's greatest match of 2009 had imploded with the teams unable to agree terms, in spite of date, venue and television rights being in place.

Hatton, in Manchester explained his feelings for the first time since the fight was announced: "They were a very difficult few weeks. Previously we had spoken to Bob Arum [Pacquiao's promoter] and we'd agreed on the deal. I was delighted. I was jumping through hoops.

"But then with the on-off, on-off nature of last week, I was devastated. Finally it came to a head last week and I said to my dad [Ray Hatton, his manager] and my lawyer Gareth Williams that if it was not on by [last] weekend, we would have to call it off."

"I really needed to know in my mind who I was fighting because the whole family are just about to go on our annual cruise – we're off to the Caribbean – until mid February before I start a 12-week training camp with Floyd [Mayweather Sr] and Lee Beard.

"I will be speaking to Floyd shortly, but it looks like I'll go to Vegas for eight weeks this time before I fight."

Hatton, 30, who has lost only once in his 46 fight career – to Floyd Mayweather Jnr, then the world's No 1 pound-for-pound fighter – insisted that Filipino Pacquiao's rating as the best boxer in the world at present was a driving issue for him.

Hatton said: "I've challenged once for it, I'm focused, I've got my eye on the prize. I've always said it, but I don't think, at 10st, anyone in the world can bat me.

"Nor can I see this fight going 12 rounds. I'm convinced I will beat Manny."

Hatton also believes Oscar De La Hoya's condition last December added to the Filipino's gloss on the night. "I do think he boxed a shell of Oscar De La Hoya. But I don't want to take anything away from Manny.

"He is a great champion, and the only way to become a great fighter is to box great champions. It is an honour and a privilege to be sharing a ring with him."

Source: telegraph.co.uk/

No comments: