Home | Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton News | Pacman vs Hitman Videos | Pacquiao vs Hatton Pictures


Friday, May 1, 2009

Hatton struggling to make 140-lb weight

It appears cracks are beginning to show up at Ricky Hatton’s camp less than 48 hours before the “Hitman" slugs it out with Manny Pacquiao in the Battle of East and West on May 2 (May 3 in Manila) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Weight problems and a reported misunderstanding with trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. had left Hatton cramming for form – physically and mentally – going into his 12-round fight with Pacquiao where his International Boxing Organization (IBO) light-welterweight title is at stake.

Alex Ariza, Pacquiao’s conditioning coach, believes the 30-year old boxer from Manchester, England has yet to comfortably meet the 140-pound limit based on the road work Hatton was still doing Thursday at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas campus.

Ariza talked to one of the strength and conditioning coach who was around when Hatton jogged around the campus oval. “My source saw them running out in the sun, so probably he’s still struggling to make weight."

A known beer drinker when not in training camp, Hatton had struggled several times in the past just to meet the junior welterweight limit.

Ariza’s revelation came in the heels of the alleged rift between Hatton and Mayweather Sr. Hatton reportedly felt miserable working out under the outspoken Mayweather Sr., whose practice of coming late in training doesn’t sit well with the two-time world champion.

Mayweather Sr., hired by Hatton last year to replace long-time trainer Billy Graham, didn’t deny the matter, but stressed out that everything else had been settled with Hatton.

“I addressed the situation and the problems I had with him," admitted Mayweather Sr. “I addressed things with him. I let him know I don’t play that, don’t do that. He knows now."

“I won’t disrespect him. If I don’t want someone else disrespecting me in no kind of a way, I’m not going to disrespect anybody else in no kind of a way. We have a very clear understanding between each other. I make sure I have a clear understanding with everybody I train because nobody is going to be jerking me around and I take no mess off nobody," said Mayweather Sr.

Ariza, however, couldn’t care less about Hatton’s rift with his trainer. He’s more concerned on the physical condition of Pacquiao’s opponent.

“The tale would be after the weigh-in when I hear how much he weighs in," Ariza said. “If he’s over 150 pounds, his body is gonna be weak and I think Manny will go right after him."

Source: gmanews.tv

No comments: