Home | Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton News | Pacman vs Hitman Videos | Pacquiao vs Hatton Pictures


Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hatton 'enjoys best form of life'


Ricky Hatton says he is in the best form of his life ahead of the light-welterweight super-fight against Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas this weekend.

The 30-year-old believes trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr has turned him into a more technically proficient fighter.

Hatton is still undefeated in the 10-stone division, his only loss coming at 10.5 stones against Floyd Mayweather Jr in December 2007.

"This is the best Ricky Hatton's ever been," said the Manchester boxer.
"I haven't lost too many rounds at junior welterweight, never mind fights, because I've been too strong."

Bookmakers have made Hatton the underdog at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, with Pacquiao, 30, considered to be the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world, predicted to win.
But Hatton believes his superior strength and new-found technical skills will prove too much for his Filipino opponent in the early hours of Sunday morning, UK time.

"It's not just about 'the strongest man wins' in a boxing match," he stated. "Other elements come into it, technical things, the game plan, things like that.
"Technically I was back to my best in my last fight [an 11th-round knockout against Paulie Malignaggi in November 2008] and that was after only seven weeks with my new team.

"I think the difference between my last training camp and this one is night and day, technically."

Hatton revealed his defeat by Mayweather, the only loss in his 43-fight career, made him reconsider his approach to boxing.

"In years gone by I'd always shown in glimpses I had a good jab and boxing ability but in too many fights I hadn't been showing it," he conceded.

"In all my fights I thought I was just going to roll over every one.

"Obviously when I fought Floyd Jr he humbled me and showed me that I'd better go back to basics, even though that fight was at 147 pounds. It showed me that you can't steamroll everyone."

Mayweather's father took charge of Hatton's win over Malignaggi, introducing more technical elements to his style.

Although Hatton said his new trainer has helped turn him into a more rounded boxer, he insisted he still has the instincts that earned him 32 knockout victories.

He said: "I am a pressure fighter. You couldn't say for the Malignaggi fight that I resorted back to the old Ricky Hatton.

"Everybody thinks because of my new trainer that I've turned into this twinkled-toed jab-and-move boxer. I haven't.

"I'm still aggressive, I'm still a body puncher, still as ferocious as ever; technically, I've just peaked it here and there, jabbing more, moving more, setting my attacks up.

"Everybody is saying I'll resort back but resort back to what? I don't think I've changed a great deal, I'm just more polished in certain areas."

Source: bbc.co.uk

No comments: