Home | Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton News | Pacman vs Hitman Videos | Pacquiao vs Hatton Pictures


Thursday, April 23, 2009

CONFIDENT RICKY IN A PERFECT PLACE


Ricky Hatton says he's "in a perfect place" as he begins the final countdown to his huge clash with Manny Pacquiao.

The Hitman says working with new trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr has given him a new lease of life.

And he believes he's in the shape of his life as he prepares to battle the sport's reigning P4P king in Las Vegas on May 2.

He said earlier this week: "I think I'm at the ideal place, 10 days out from the fight. I've one more sparring session to do and then it will just be a case of tapering down, easing back.

"Come fight night it would have been 12 weeks of training camp. I've been working so hard for 11 of them, I think you need that week to get it all back. Just a case of one more hard sparring session and then sharpening up my tools.

"I couldn't get my tools any sharper. I think my sparring partners have all been exceptional - the best sparring partners I've had, to clone the style of Manny Pacquiao.

"My timing, my sharpness, my weight, I'm in a perfect place as far as my training camp goes, 10 days away from the fight."

Hatton's first fight under the stewardship of Mayweather Sr was a superb stoppage of Paulie Malignaggi in the MGM Grand last November.

That silenced the critics who claimed the Hitman was on the way down, and he says after another camp with his new team there's more to come.

"I think if Ricky Hatton does what Ricky Hatton does best, I believe I'm going to be too much in all areas for Manny in all areas," he said.

"I'm not saying that for you to sharpen your pencils - it's what I believe. He's a great man and a great fighter and I thank him for the opportunity. I think the fans are in for a fantastic night. Where I'm at at the minute, I couldn't be any more positive about the outcome of this fight."

With both fighters known for their aggression and come-forward styles, we should be in for a thrilling night on May 2. And Hatton certainly wouldn't disagree.

He said: "I don't see it being a distance fight - Manny doesn't fight like he plans to go the distance. Manny goes for the knockout, I go for the knockout. He's not the most elusive. He's a southpaw, he puts himself in the pocket - he's there to be hit. He likes to engage in a fight.

"There's obviously dangers for me and I'm aware of that. If he does want to engage in a fight with me, I'm strongly believe he'll come off second best. It's very rare that I have a height advantage over anybody. I'm normally reaching for the shots because I'm so much shorter than my opponents."

Source: sportinglife.com

No comments: