Home | Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton News | Pacman vs Hitman Videos | Pacquiao vs Hatton Pictures


Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hatton pooh-poohs P4P king Pacquiao’s defense

MANILA, Philippines – He may be the world’s top pound for pound fighter but Manny Pacquiao possesses a glaring weakness that enemies can surely exploit – defense.

So said Ricky Hatton, who vowed to pounce on the Filipino superstar’s supposed questionable defensive skills when they duke it out this Saturday in Las Vegas (Sunday in Manila).

“I don't think Manny has the best defense in the world," Hatton told Telegraph’s Gareth Davies. “I know I don't either, but I've been watching a lot of tapes of his fights, studying him very closely with (assistant trainer) Lee Beard, and he gets hit a fair few times himself, and he has been shaken up in fights."

The Mancunian noted that Pacquiao’s “weak defense" had led to his fall before and the Pinoy icon would definitely crack against a bigger, stronger hard-hitter like himself.

“He has been stopped with body shots in the past by smaller men and men who are not naturally as aggressive as Ricky Hatton or for that matter, as big, strong and aggressive as Ricky Hatton. There will be chances there, and is he going to be able to take it?" he boasted.

Hatton, though, failed to note that such KO setbacks came much earlier at the lower divisions, when the bomber from Gen San was actually drained by a frantic attempt to reduce and meet weight.

As to Pacquiao’s noted hand and foot speed and hard-to-tackle lefty stance, Hatton said he’s not worried a bit, confident he would be able to neutralize these.

“Of course, I understand he has very very fast hands, that south paw stance, a tricky 'in and out' style and I know I will have to take a shot, but all things considered, the way I am better defensively now, faster hands, setting up my attacks, my angles are better, with my all round skills I think I have an answer in every single department," he said.

“When Manny attacks, he runs in off balance, loads up with the left and sometimes misses. I think he is there to hit then, and if I hit him..." he added.

Hatton and Pacquiao are set for their “grand arrivals" in Las Vegas on Tuesday and for a media conference on Wednesday. –GMANews.TV

Source: gmanews.tv

No comments: