Home | Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton News | Pacman vs Hitman Videos | Pacquiao vs Hatton Pictures


Friday, April 17, 2009

Pacquiao: I'm close to 100 per cent



Manny Pacquiao told me, in Los Angeles, that he is close to what he considers 100percent condition to face Ricky Hatton on May 2 at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas. He allowed The Telegraph exclusive access both into his apartment, and his training camp, where he is surrounded by his entourage. They smile, they laugh, and there are some real characters.

Notice in the video (by clicking the link above), that Pacquiao blends quietly into the group around him. He is sitting on the right hand side of the arm of the sofa, intently watching live boxing, and re-runs of his own fights. He is at home in the apartment in a gated compound 20 minutes drive from the Wild Card Gym, on Vine.

Notice, too, the three dart boards in the room (he is obviously practising to get revenge in the Hatton v Pacquiao darts match II).

Little 'Pacman', his Jack Russell terrier, was also scampering around the flat. I had a great evening talking with Ben Delgado, Pacquiao's first coach 1995-2001, about the early days when Manny first made his reputation on Vintage Sport's 'Blow by Blow' show, in which he became a sensation - at that stage with boxing insiders in his homeland.

Ben Delgado struck me as a special guy. And totally committed, still, to the young man, in his eyes, whom he met 14 years ago. Delgado, now 72, comes to all Pacquiao's fights in the US.

Most of all, Pacquiao showed that he is a true gentleman, and a sportsman in the true sense of the word.

Pacquiao told The Telegraph: "I'm not treating my opponent as an enemy, we are just doing our job in the ring, to entertain people. That's why we do it. We will be friends whatever happens on May 2. Like my opponents before, they are all my friends. For me it is nothing personal. It is just us doing our job. Since I went to Manchester with Ricky Hatton [late in February on the press tour] I realized he is also a nice guy, a nice person, a friendly guy. Boxing is nothing personal you are just doing your job in the ring. It's a hard job."

Pacquiao also told The Telegraph that he loves learning under Freddie Roach, and latterly, under his assistant trainer, Michael Moorer, the former two-time world heavyweight champion. "You know, we have been working together since 2001 - and you can still learn if you want to. I'm still learning, all about different styles. I'm a different man in style, size, and technique. Now I'm thinking more, picking my punches more. I am growing in maturity as a fighter."

Interestingly, Moorer is a great foil for Roach, as the former heavyweight was a south paw, and is acting as the chief trainer's "eyes and ears" understanding where Pacquiao's thinking comes from when he plans moves. Roach, who fought from the orthodox stance, insists Moorer is proving to be a real asset. He is also a very powerful enforcer in the gym. Long may the relationship continue, is Roach's view.

Source: telegraph.co.uk

No comments: